Value Added Services
Technical writing is provided to clients as requested. betmar languages also offers consultation regarding technical writing in order to assist clients with issues such as how manuals can be written in English to encourage better translation results. Examples include:
- The use of a key or legends to assist readers of the translated material in understanding what is seen on the machine or screen and will not be translated.
- Use of grammatical forms in English which better lend themselves to understandable translated material.
Promotional pieces or newsletters are often written using plays on words or culturally specific language which is difficult to translate. Acronyms can also create translation problems. betmar languages works with clients to arrive at a solution for these translation challenges.
Two specific examples of this issue:
- The title of the newsletter "A Matter of Degrees" is a play on words.
- One newsletter referred to "cheese heads" in Wisconsin. This text would not be understood outside the U.S.
In collaboration with our computer consultant, betmar languages developed a comprehensive customized record keeping system in FileMakerPro. Each detail of every project is carefully tracked within this system. A status report is maintained daily on every project. This information is available to clients immediately upon request. Our system also allows us to do customized reports for our clients when that service is useful to them.
Record keeping options include the development of written client specific procedures and guidelines which include:
- Specification of client standards available for all project managers.
- Client specific checklist and procedures outlined for all project managers.
Our thorough database allows us to:
- Track the progress of each process.
- Easily access information for the client if needed. Record each step in the process for reference if necessary.
- Record client's answers to translator's questions for future reference and consistency.
- Record resolution to challenges, for example, whether or not to use the degree symbol.
Archiving of documents
betmar languages keeps archives of all electronic files and paper documents. Archives are:
- Backed up regularly and stored off site.
- Immediately available to client in the event files are lost or damaged.
- Easily retrievable for revisions.
Various reports generated by our record keeping are available upon request.
- Projects completed by name, project manager, etc.
- Availability of dollar figures and savings.
betmar languages is experienced and able to work in most software programs as necessary including but not limited to: QuarkXPress, PageMaker, InDesign, FrameMaker, Adobe Illustrator, TRADOS, SDLX, Publisher, Powerpoint, etc.
Other types of media
betmar languages is experienced in working with various types of media including:
- Experienced at producing VHS tapes, DVD, CD and interactive CD, files for web sites, etc.
- Presentation materials of all types, at all levels.
Next : Quality control process